Milford Herbert Denison, also known as Herbert Milford Denison, was born at Port Credit on May 31, 1897, the son of Herbert Willoughby Denison and his wife, Elizabeth Ann McGill. Herbert Willoughby Denison was a carpenter from the Lorne Park area. Sometime after 1885 he bought the house which became known as the “Gingerbread House”, located at 1207 Lorne Park Road, where Milford was born. Herbert made many alterations to the house, including attaching a tower which he had acquired from another house.
Mississauga Library System, Historic Images Gallery
Milford Denison enlisted on May 19, 1916 at Toronto in the 4th Battalion Canadian Mounted Rifles and was assigned regimental number 225840. On his attestation form he was described as being 5 feet, 5½ inches in height, with a medium complexion, blue eyes and brown hair. He was living in Port Credit, working as a labourer, and gave his parents, Herbert and Annie Denison of Lorne Park, as his next of kin. On the form he stated that he had served for two months as a trooper with the 9th Mississauga Horse.
The 4th Battalion Canadian Mounted Rifles was first organized in November 1914 in Toronto and recruited from the Governor General’s Foot Guards, 2nd Dragoons, the 9th Mississauga Horse and 25th Brant Dragoons. The regiment embarked from Quebec on July 18, 1915, disembarking in England on July 27 and arriving in France on September 22, 1915. The regiment saw action at Mount Sorrel, the Somme, Passchendaele and Amiens.
At some point Milford was transferred as a sapper to the Canadian Engineers. He returned to Canada on board the SS Melita, from Liverpool, arriving on December 18, 1918 at St. John, New Brunswick, en route to Port Credit.
On March 1, 1919 Milford married Mary Josephine Anderson of Port Credit, the daughter of William Anderson and Annie Park. Although the bride was Baptist they were married at St. Peter’s Anglican Church, Erindale. Their daughter, Verna Mae Weeks, a local historian and author, has written several books about the various villages of Mississauga.
Milford died of heart failure at Lorne Park on December 26, 1946. His Veteran’s Card indicated that his death was “due to his service” in the war as a sapper with the Canadian Engineers. He is buried in Springcreek Cemetery.