William Perkins Bull, From Brock to Currie
Leslie Hare was born on April 26, 1894, the son of William Hare, a sailor, and his wife, Louisa Grafton. William Hare came from a family of sailors, being himself the son of Charles Hare, the master of the schooner Hunter. Louisa Grafton was the daughter of Thomas Grafton who had been the proprietor of the Vanstone Hotel in Port Credit.
Leslie enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force on June 15, 1916 at Valcartier, Quebec. He gave his occupation as mechanical dentist and his mother, Mrs. William Hare of Port Credit, as his next of kin. He stated that he had not been a member of the active militia nor had he served in any military force. His medical examination was carried out at Ravina Barracks in West Toronto which was the site of the Toronto District Depot. On his attestation form he was described as being 5 feet, 6 inches in height, with a fair complexion, grey eyes with a brown tint, and light hair. He had a few scars on his body, including his elbow and knee. Leslie was assigned regimental number 1024145 and attached to the 234th Overseas Battalion.
The 234th Overseas Battalion began recruiting in April 1916 at Ravina Barracks and embarked for England on April 18, 1917. It arrived in France on April 30, 1917 and was absorbed into the 12th Reserve Battalion CEF.
234th Battalion Cap Badge
The Battalion was disbanded on September 1, 1917 and is perpetuated by the 3rd [Reserve] Battalion, the Peel and Dufferin Regiment, and the Lorne Scots Regiment.
Leslie served in France with the Machine Gun Battery and was demobilized in 1919.
He married Mabel Winifred Bentley of Lorne Park on November 2, 1921 in Toronto. They had one son, Clarence. According to his nephew, the late Harold Hare, Leslie was gassed while in the trenches during the war and suffered for the rest of his life from the effects of the gas. He died in Sunnybrook Hospital on May 30, 1958 and is buried in Springcreek Cemetery.