Frank Torrens was born in Downsview on March 15, 1898, along with his twin brother, Harold. They were the sons of William John Torrens and his wife, Henrietta Margaret Harrison. William John Torrens was born in Coleraine, County Derry, Ireland on August 26, 1863 and immigrated to Canada, arriving at Halifax on April 28, 1883. He married Henrietta in Toronto on April 13, 1893. Frank and Harry had an older brother, Robert John, known as John, born in 1896.
All three Torrens boys enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force. John enlisted on March 21, 1916 at Toronto, and his brother, Harry, enlisted on November 7 the same year, also at Toronto. At that time the family was living and farming in the Meadowvale area. Frank enlisted on March 26, 1917 at Toronto, and gave his mother as his next of kin and his address as Box 85, Meadowvale. On his attestation form he was described as 5 feet 8 ½ inches in height with a fresh complexion, grey eyes and brown hair. He was assigned as a driver to the 70th Battery, Canadian Field Artillery, and given regimental number 341202.
The 70th Battery Canadian Field Artillery was organized in March 1916 as a draft-giving battery under the command of Lieutenant G. B. Balfour and mobilized in Toronto. It was absorbed by No. 2 Artillery Depot (Military District 2) in October 1918 and disbanded in November 1920.
Frank was demobilized at Bramshott Camp and returned to Canada on board the SS Cedric, arriving at Halifax on March 27, 1919. By 1921, according to the census, the Torrens family had moved to Ravenshoe in North Gwillimbury, York County where William continued to farm. In December of that year Frank sailed on the SS Saturnia from Halifax to Glasgow, en route to Blackhill, Coleraine, County Londonderry, Ireland, to visit his uncle, Robert Torrens. He returned to Canada aboard the SS Metagama on September 15, 1923.
Frank married Mary Elizabeth Todd sometime after 1928. She was a widow and had been previously married to a fireman, Robert Stirling Brown, who died in 1926. Frank and Mary lived in Toronto at 62 Runnymede Road. Frank died on March 12, 1962 and is buried in Park Lawn Cemetery. Mary died in 1983 and is buried with Frank, in Park Lawn Cemetery.